Want to help spread the word about new WebGL jobs?
With our Twitter app, you can automatically retweet every posting on this site.
Click here to find out more.
Mapbox builds real time maps for the world, and the GL Core team is responsible for developing and maintaining the Mapbox GL rendering ecosystem. It powers Mapbox’s iOS, Android, and Qt SDKs. In addition, Mapbox GL JS enables custom interactive maps in all modern web browsers using WebGL. It uses the device’s GPU to render maps at blazing speeds by turning the underlying map data into an image with the help of a map stylesheet.
If creating new types of geographic visualizations, engineering a map rendering engine, and working with a modern ES6 code base sounds exciting to you, this job is for you! You’ll be responsible for adding new features, improving our rendering library by fixing bugs, and maintaining parity with our C++ renderer. Your code will power the future of mapping on the web and on mobile devices.
We have big ambitions: We power the maps for sites and applications like The Weather Channel, Pinterest, and CNN, and we’re rapidly expanding our customer base. Our platform enables drone companies to publish imagery, real estate sites to visualize properties, satellite companies to deliver cloud-free imagery, and insurance companies to analyze assets. We want to be a leader in all of these markets by making the building blocks that change how people move around cities, understand our planet, and relate to location.
Qualities we are looking for
- A great communicator. Our team is distributed around the world, so effective communication is key.
- Interest in learning and teaching. You’re eager to expand your skillsets as well as bring a fresh perspective to ours.
- An eye for aesthetics. Providing a great visual experience is core to our product.
We’d also love to see
- Excitement for maps or geovisualization. Building the future of maps will be a core part of your work.
- Expertise in rendering with WebGL or OpenGL. You’re not afraid to dive into the nitty gritty of our WebGL and shader code to fix performance issues.
- Exposure to Node.js development. We’re using Node for our test suite and integration tests.
- Familarity with writing modern C++ code. Our rendering ecosystem is a tandem of JS and C++, and we are sometimes porting features from one to the other.
Sound like you?
Click apply and include:
- A note telling us why you’re interested in Mapbox.
- Your resume
- Examples of your work: link to your GitHub page, to projects you’ve finished, or to your website. Otherwise, feel free to send us non-public samples directly.
Sound interesting, but not sure you tick all the boxes? Please apply - we emphasize teaching and learning at Mapbox, and there’s tons of room to grow.
We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team. We encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.